Sunday, July 5, 2015

Lessons from Gao Yao

This weekend was a weekend of learning, discovering, and appreciation of the things we take for granted. As we head back to Shanghai, I’m thinking back at the things I experienced these last few days. It wasn't exactly easy traveling from a beautiful place in San Diego to a poor, dirty, and hectic town of Gao Yao. It wasn't easy adapting to the different lifestyle of Gao Yao and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. It also wasn't easy staying in a town where no one spoke English and where communication was a challenge. I think to myself, how did I end up here? Despite these challenges and lessons, it was reassuring having placed my trust in the Lord and allowing Him to use me for His kingdom. 

It was very encouraging being able to spend time with the girls this weekend. I can see how difficult it is for them to live in that community. It's rare for them to even get this kind of social interaction from people who don't have disabilities or are from privileged parts of the world. I can see how difficult it is for them to hangout with people with no disabilities because of the judgement they face. I can also see how difficult it is for them to even make friends with people who don’t have disabilities because of the lack of confidence they face their entire lives and the insecurities that hold them back every day. I can see how difficult it is for them to fit in and adapt to their community every day because of their deformities or disabilities. The good thing is, they have each other and are comfortable with their own bubble of acceptance. Gao Yao isn’t like America at all. In America, we encourage people to help people with disabilities and to give special benefits to those with disabilities. In Gao Yao, these girls get no special treatment or help. They are treated like everyone else and are even scorned more for their disabilities. When Lori, who suffers from dwarfism, walked around the area with us, old women would stop and stare at her for 20 yards even after they walked past her. There were men that laughed and wanted to take pictures with her too. It’s 

The girls were super happy that we were able to spend time with them this weekend. It was amazing to show God’s love for everyone. I would have never imagined myself ever visiting an area like this on my own. It was like visiting a random booney town in the middle of the Midwest. The lack of Christianity is very prevalent in this area of the world. I can see how tough it is for the girls to grow their relationship with God and to be able to maintain their faith. There are no churches and places to worship. The area is filled with idolatry and evil spirits so temptation and sin is ever-growing.

Leaving Gao Yao, I know there is a lot of work to be done. There is a lot of people who do not know who Christ is. I am glad to have experienced the work of God and I know he is working slowly but surely within their community. I feel for these orphan girls but I know that as long as they continue trusting in Christ, they will never have to experience their disabilities ever again in the eternal kingdom of God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment